Boulton Paul Defiant 141 Sq L7009 July 1940AA39301
No. 141 Sqn was originally formed on 1st January 1918 but was disbanded on 1st February 1920. The squadron reformed on 4th October 1939 at RAF Turnhouse and was first equipped with Gloster Gladiators then Bristol Blenheims. These were replaced with Boulton Paul Defiants in April 1940. The first operational patrol was flown on 29th June before moving to RAF West Malling in July. Its first and last daylight encounter with the enemy followed a few days later when 6 out of 9 aircraft were lost over the English Channel. The squadron changed from a day- to night-fighter role, which was far better suited to the Defiant. L7009 (TW-H) was flown by Flt. Lt. D. G. Donald with gunner Plt. Off. A.C. Hamilton. This aircraft was shot down by a Bf 109E of JG51 near Dover on 19th July 1940 and both crew members were killed. It featured a rare (for the RAF) but attractive nose art depicting a rooster with the name "Cock o' the North".
We Also Recommend
1/200 AIRBUS TRANSPORT INTERNATIONAL AIRBUS A330-743L BELUGA REG: F-WBXL
1:43 BAR Honda 002 - Ricardo Zonta - P14 - 2000
1:43 Brabham Ford BT44B - Jose Carlos Pace - P6 - Brazil GP - 1975
1:43 Brabham Ford BT49C - Nelson Piquet - P1 - Germany GP - 1981