Field Marshall Tractor Orange'OD76FMT002
This Field Marshall tractor tooling comes in bright orange with silver and black trim, as opposed to the company\'s earlier green colour scheme. A nice little touch is the pair of Union Flags on the side of the engine cowling above the front wheels, as well as the Field Marshall logo which also features on the side in silver.
The Lincolnshire based company of Marshall, Sons & Co started manufacturing tractors in 1930, the year which saw the launch of the single cylinder Marshall 15/30. Various upgrades were introduced during the 1930s, although production was reduced during the war years when the factory was engaged in war work. The Field Marshall - a much improved tractor - was introduced immediately after WWII with the Series 1 (1945-1947). Series 2 followed between 1947 and 1949, Series 3 (1949-1953) and finally Series 3A (1953-1957). Up to the time of Series 3, which had an optional electric starter, the starting mechanism was by present standards, quite antiquated. The method comprised a smouldering piece of paper containing saltpetre, which was inserted into the cylinder head by means of a special screw-in holder in the cylinder head. The driver then had to crank up the engine with a starting handle.
The main uses for the Field Marshall Tractor included pulling agricultural machinery from place to place, such as threshing machines. Once in situ, they were a familiar sight in use as the power plant with a belt pulley coupled by a large flat drive belt to the pulley of the secondary machine.